With more people looking for homes away from home there has been a steady growth of the hospitality industry. The sector that believes the guests to be God, treats all the people as their own.
People keep travelling from place to place looking for a home away from home where he can be treated as a family member. This possibly could be the reason behind the uninhibited rise of the hospitality sector in India and abroad.
What is hospitality?
Hospitality is indeed the relationship between a guest coming from different corners of the world and a host that warmly welcomes it, and the host receives the guest with goodwill, including perfect reception and entertainment of guests, visitors, or strangers through various means.
The hospitality industry is a category of fields with a broad bandwidth within the service and tourism industry under the aegis of national and state governments that includes lodging, food, event planning, theme parks, transportation, cruise line, travelling and additional fields within the tourism industry.
As per a report by KPMG which is a professional service company and one of the Big Four auditors, along with Deloitte, Ernst & Young (EY), and PricewaterhouseCoopers (PwC) , the hospitality sector in India is expected to grow at 16.1 per cent CAGR to reach Rs 2,796.9 thousand crores in 2022 which indeed is a healthy rate that paints the graph..
Who work here?
People with specialized skills and training are prefered most in the industry by the recruiters as this industry requires highly skilled professionals to serve the guest with utmost care and skills. This rise in demand for professionals has led to the rise of institutions and training centres around the globe.
How to be one among them?
Institutions have been created to serve the same purpose where students and professionals are trained according to the industry standards. Various exams are conducted to take the aspirants cut out for the industry. Any student with basic knowledge and skills can crack the entrance which demands the ability to solve easy maths questions and English MCQs.
Any place to go?
Here are the top hospitality colleges in India that provide the best education and opportunities to hit a decent career with lucrative pays and perks. These colleges have created professionals and stalwarts in the hospitality sectors.
- Institute of Hotel Management, Catering and Nutrition (IHM), Pusa
- Welcomgroup Graduate School of Hotel Administration
- Institute of Hotel Management, Catering Technology and Applied Nutrition (IHM), Mumbai
- Institute of Hotel Management, Catering Technology and Applied Nutrition (IHM), Bangalore
- Institute of Hotel Management, Catering Technology and Applied Nutrition (IHM), Hyderabad
- Banarsidas Chandiwala Institute of Hotel Management and Catering Technology
- Institute of Hotel Management, Catering Technology and Applied Nutrition (IHM), Chennai
- Department of Hotel Management – Christ University
- Army Institute of Hotel Management and Catering Technology (AIHMCT)
- Institute of Hotel Management, Catering Technology and Applied Nutrition (IHM)
I have mentioned the top colleges in India that serve the purpose.
The entrance exams conducted by these colleges at the national and state level for taking in the future hoteliers are that tough as compared to that of engineering entrances or medical college entrances.
The question papers can be seen flooded with Multiple Choice Questions of general English, aptitude, general knowledge and current affairs and easy maths questions.
Being an alma mater of Institute of Hotel Management, Pusa, New Delhi, I personally feel that it’s easy to make into the top colleges but surviving is a way more difficult.